8:00AM to 4:30PM
Monday – Friday
125 East High Ave.
New Philadelphia, OH 44663
Tuscarawas County Commissioners
There are three members of the Board of Commissioners. They are elected by the residents of the county to serve a four-year term. There are no specific qualifications that a commissioner must have to run for the office. In accordance to the Ohio Revised Code the job is to be part-time.
- ADVERTISE & CONDUCT HEARINGS -The Board must advertise and conduct the hearings for the following: Budgets, Road & Bridge changes, Annexation, Watersheds, Taxes, Road Vacation, Block Grant, etc. This gives the residents an opportunity to learn about the project and also to input their opinion.
- ADVERTISE & ACCEPT BIDS – The Board must advertise and accept bids for the following: Equipment, Vehicles, Insurance, Materials, Fuel, Projects, Major Repair of Buildings, Paving, etc.
- SELECT CITIZENS FOR APPOINTMENTS – The Board must select residents of our county to the following boards: Kent State University-Tuscarawas Campus, Board of Developmental Disabilities, Commission on Ageing, Tuscarawas County Public Library, Regional Planning, Public Defenders, Multi-County Juvenile, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services, Recycling & Litter Prevention, Housing Authority, Multi-County Solid Waste District, Self-Help, Emergency Management, Local Emergency Planning Committee, and Convention & Visitors Bureau, and Tuscarawas County Law Library Resource Board.
- MAINTENANCE OF BUILDINGS – The Board is responsible for maintaining the following public buildings: Court House, County Office Building, Job & Family Services, Jail, Board of Education, Health Department, and various parking lots owned by the County.
- Insures approximately fifty (50) structures, including the fairgrounds and jail.
- Insures all county owned vehicles.
- Lobbies in Columbus and Washington DC concerning legislation, grants, regulations, etc. that affect our county.
- Cooperates with townships, cities, villages and county office holders in areas of mutual concern.
- Cooperates with leaders in agriculture, business, labor, industry, education, etc. in attracting more job opportunities for residents of our county.
- Cooperates with other counties on mutual concerns, such as the Multi-County Solid Waste Disposal Agency.
- Serves on several boards including: Data, Revision, Multi-County Juvenile Attention System, Stark-Tuscarawas-Wayne Counties Solid Waste District, Ohio Mid-Eastern Governments Association, Harcatus, Children & Family First Council, Recycling & Litter Prevention, Emergency Management Agency, Local Emergency Planning Committee. County Commissioners Association of Ohio and the National Association of Counties.
- Must conform to the Ohio Revised Code Rules and Regulations.
- Obligates and approves a balanced budget for the County.